Saturday, April 13, 2024

The making of Mossy Grove Dollhouse

Originally this was going to be similar to my elf tree house at about 3/4" scale, but I changed my mind as I was drawing it out and went ahead and made it one-inch scale. I am building this one to sell when finished!

I wanted to incorporate a little more of my mixed media art in this piece so there will be some découpage in the finishings. After everything is drawn out on graph paper, I then build the structure. I forgot to take some photos because I was really into the build in the moment. I started this one around November last year.






Exterior is all framed out with basswood!


Next I filled in all the areas with spackle and painted them. Then one last stain on the trim! Now it's time to stain the timbers again.








The fireplace is paper clay on top of gator board. Then I gave it a gray wash and added stone  colors. 







The faux stone floor is ready for grout!



I finished the interior and made the front door. I had those iron hinge accents in my stash for a very long time so I decided to use them for this piece and then just do a regular pin hinge for the door.






I framed out where all of the stone steps and walls would be and then started sculpting them with paper clay. I painted them and gave them their first base wash of a green moss color but there will be much more to add in the future! The chimney took the longest to do but I like how it turned out.






The stained glass windows are in!!





Now I need to resolve the electric! I'll be sharing more as I continue. I hope you enjoyed taking this miniature journey with me!

1 comment: