Thursday, December 22, 2022

Merry Christmas Mouse


Miniatures.com has these fantastic display platform kits that are super easy to put together.

It took me a while to think of what to do with mine. I have always loved the thought of living on a farm so I thought it might be fun to make a barn front that can be used for all seasons.


I just made a really big move by selling my family home and the very last thing I made there was this little felt mouse. Luckily my old dining table was still at the house while it was showing so I packed up my felting supplies when over and and made this little mouse.


The display assembles very easily with wood glue. Before I assembled it, I traced the back wall so I knew where the floor would start and built the wood barn front before I assembled it. This way I could add weight to the wall while it dried flat on my table.






The board on this kit is nice and thick so there was no warping!


I cut and glued basswood then once the glue set I added steeped tea (let it dry) then brushed on vinegar. I let my vinegar sit a little too long in a jar with some steel wool, so it came out dark. I have also skipped the steel wool and just applied the vinegar on its own and it comes out a little lighter. It can go from brownish grey to light grey depending on your combinations.


I glued down some sandpaper for the gravel and had some landscaping material from a fall village at the craft store and used that as grass.


Then I cut black cardstock for the barn handles and painted n some ‘rust’.


Little Miss Mouse is ready to slide open those barn doors and join a fabulous holiday party!








I made her hat from a little red button, some plastic pearl beads and a feather from my boyfriend’s African Grey Parrot. When he grooms they fall to the base of his cage. I was thinking about making a miniature down pillow with them! Haha


I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and the New Year brings you everything you need for a happy and full life! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment