Saturday, January 29, 2022

Dollhouse roof

 

Back when I made The Kinfeld, I shared how I built a Mansard roof. Click HERE to see. 




I drew out the top floor and marked out room for the braces.


I built the walls and cut out the windows.


I cut out and installed all of the braces from foam board.
Then traced the curve onto poster board.


Holding up poster board and tracing where to cut it to shape.


Glue and pins (pushed all the way in) hold the poster board to the braces behind.


After I added the 'stucco' to the walls I traced where the window holes would be on the front poster board piece. I am using a spackle knife to mark a level line from the window hole out to the curve of the mansard roof.



Then I used a triangle to cut out the windows so they are straight according to the rough tracing.




All the sides are on and drying. Clothes pins hold the poster board to the top while the glue cures.


I have made the windows. I should have made them lower, but wasn't 100% focused that day. Nothing some beautiful window boxes can't fix!


I covered the roof with black construction paper.

I decided to use the same technique for the roof shingles as well. Click HERE for my shingle tutorial.



This project is just about finished. On the list is a few touch ups with paint and the installation of an old fashioned house elevator/electric. This was made to be a way to display a collection of miniatures more so than to mimic a realistic home.



Parish Bleau from BleausCustomWoodWork supplied that gorgeous herringbone floor kit!




The steps and garden (to come) can be moved away to open the front.



The beautiful windows and door embellishment really make it feel grand and charming at the same time. Wire electric can easily be installed and there is a cubby hole on the outside base to store the plug strip. Vines on the outside will easily hide the white wires.


After my boyfriend makes the elevator motor, I will make the actual elevator and install it. He works long hours so I’m not sure when it will be. He wants to 3D print a casing for it too. Until then, I will continue on and finish up my French stone cottage!


This townhouse project started when Hobby Builders Supply www.miniatures.com sent me a double room box kit!

Visit that post HERE


0 comments:

Post a Comment