Thursday, December 9, 2021

Dollhouse room box windows and door


This room box has become an experimental project for me. While making my stone cottage I found a cool Golden product that was basically fine sand in a gel medium. So when I put it on the entrance addition of the stone cottage it looked like coarse stucco. It was very expensive, even with a coupon, so I decided to try to make something similar.


I mixed sand with watered down Tacky Glue (because I had it on hand) and added regular white glue that I had. First I tried to spread it on with a painter's spatula but it was too thick so I ended up applying it with the spatula and letting it run down the sides as it thinned itself out and I kept spreading out the drips.



In the end, I think my sand was not fine enough and it was a failure. But if you wanted a very coarse texture for something it could work. I saved the project by applying spackle and sanding down with an electric sander.


I did want it to be rustic so the combination of the sand and the spackle turned out kind of nice!


Then I got to work on the windows. These Bonnnet Pediment windows by Hobby Builders Supply are great! You can easily take them apart, paint and sand them and put them back together.




Be sure to sand the front, side and back of the window frames that fit in the groves and also to sand the groove all with very fine sandpaper so they slide easily. Also keep the paint thin and sand as it dries for each coat. The extra work is worth it!


To clean the acrylic 'glass' either blow through a straw, use air in a can or use an airbrush. Wiping them will scratch them!


For the door, I wanted to add two tones to the panels so I painted strips of cardstock. Then I cut and glued them on the beveled edges. Then added some paint in any gaps of the corner joins.




The door also comes apart. Just pull out the bottom pin and be sure to save it somewhere safe while you are painting. You could even tape it to the table to be sure it doesn't run away!


The door pediment was a little wider than I thought because I ordered the wrong one. This was an easy fix, I just cut strips of thick basswood and put them on either side of the door.


I am so happy with this so far! This project is not meant to be a replica of a real house. I decided to make it more of a shell to showcase miniature treasures. Two simple rooms and an attic will be enough space to make a living room and bedroom and we will see what the attic turns into.


This project began as a simple room box from Hobby Builders Supply. See my earlier bog to learn more. I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season. Coming up next will be some fabulous flooring! I will get back to this project in January. Happy Holidays!!




2 comments:

  1. Genial, gracias por todas las explicaciones; continuaré viendo tus progresos y seguro que será una fuente de inspiración . Feliz Navidad también para ti .

    ReplyDelete