Friday, July 9, 2021

Timber Cabin miniature grass

There are so many options out there for making grass in a miniature scene. I like to use a different techniques for each of my projects. It’s important to pick a technique that compliments your piece. The white cottage called for something simplistic and whimsical so I simply used a coffee grinder and some reindeer moss. Ophelia’s house needed something more thoughtful and wild so I experimented with static grass.

White Cottage


Ophelia's house


For the cabin, I wanted something in-between those two options. While researching I found this new product. It’s basically a polyester fiber with flocking. I like it because you can easily tear it and patch it together. You have to work it a bit to get nice blends. It gives the illusion of a yard with erosion and divots. 




The landscape consists of floral foam that I glued in and carved to shape. I also applied some fast-dry/no-sand spackle to smooth out any deep dips and gaps in the foam. Once dry, I painted the spackle areas to match the green foam.


I used Walthers SceneMaster HO Scale Tear & Plant Meadow Grass (Light Green) but they have other shades, textures and scales. First, lay out a few sections at a time then peel them up and put down some white glue. Rip them and overlap as you put them down. Press the sections down and also use glue where it overlaps onto other sections. If there are little areas where the under surface shows through, just put a little glue and scoop up some of the flocking that fell off and fill them in. This was a fun product to use and I am very happy with the results.


If you feel the grass will be temporary you can get some very thin green wire, snip 1” pieces, fold in half and push down in sections to keep the sheets down.



For the flower beds and mulch ares where there will be bushes, I mixed up some dried black tea (that had been steeped) and white glue and used a palette knife to apply it on top of more white glue. When I add flowers or bushes I can push through the hard tea leaves or drill through and push the stems in.




Next up, I will be adding dirt and leaves under the deck and some shrubs along the side of the house. So check in later. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Mini hugs!




5 comments:

  1. I love the look of that grass product. I must see if I can find it in my neck of the woods or my go-to internet sources. Thanks! - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Un gran trabajo , precioso. Buen fin de semana

    ReplyDelete